A number of users have already reached Special Rank #1 thanks to their contributions following the launch of the Donor Rank System. Remember: all users who reach Special Rank #1 are given one free user pick. These Freeleech picks will be featured on the front page in batches, and are given top billing in any announcement they're a part of. In helping support the site, these generous users also get to introduce the community to some of their favorite music.
All Special Rank user picks are announced on a first-come, first-serve basis. What follows are the first fifteen Special Donor Picks we received. Additional batches are already shaping up, so expect more in the future! Remember that Special Ranks are determined by your overall, historical number of Donor Points. Every time you donate, no matter how infrequently you do so, you'll be one step closer to unlocking a Special Rank.
At this time we'd like to thank these users for their generosity and their recommendations! Without further ado, it's time to face the music:
SPECIAL DONOR PICKS:
Crowded House - Recurring Dream: The Very Best of Crowded House
Cake - Showroom of Compassion
Matt & Kim - Sidewalks
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Terry Riley - You're No Good
Castledoor - Shouting at Mountains
Guillemots - Through the Windowpane
Uneven Structure - Februus
Johnny Maddox - Dixieland Blues
Dead Can Dance - Toward the Within
Ane Brun - It All Starts With One
Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material
Dead Messenger - Recharger
John Prine - Live on Tour
And So I Watch You From Afar - All Hail Bright Futures
THE FINANCIAL UPDATE PART III:
The fundraiser has been a great success thus far. Your continued contributions will help us meet the site's costs (both recurring and unforeseen), and hopefully allow us to purchase some sorely needed upgrades to the site's hardware. Within a month or so, we'll be making a bigger announcement recapping the current donation drive, but in the meantime, here's an answer to a common question: many of you have asked what the "simplest" way to contribute is, and although each donation method has its strengths and weaknesses, purchasing a downloadable product on The What.CD Online Store is ideal if your only goal is contributing funds. Here's why:
1.You can use PayPal, credit cards, or money orders to make your purchase.
2.You can set your own price.
3.Even though you're purchasing a product, most of what you pay reaches What.CD (as opposed to covering overhead costs).
4.Nothing has to be shipped, so the effectiveness of contributing is the same no matter where you live.
Our current downloadable product is The Bonespin Wallpaper Pack, designed by P1um. If you can't afford the wallpaper pack at all, use this GE.TT Download Link to save Port Merchandise's bandwidth.
Again, thanks to anyone who has contributed! And don't forget that any donations or contributions allow you to participate in our Donor Rank System. Every unlocked rank will result in unlocking perks as well. Here are some useful links:
• The Donate Page: A page containing information about all donation or contribution methods available to you.
• The Donor Rank System FAQ Document: A document containing answers to many questions about the new Donor Rank System.
• The Flattr Donation Guide: A step-by-step guide on how to successfully donate using Flattr.
• The Donor Perk Suggestions Thread: A thread where you can leave perk suggestions for the new system.
• The Donor Leaderboard: A leaderboard listing the site's top financial contributors since the introduction of the new system.
THE WHAT.CD ONLINE STORE (GENERAL):
• The What.CD Online Store (TWOS): Our official storefront, hosted by Port Merchandise.
• TWOS FAQ Document: A document containing answers to many questions about the store.
• TWOS Donor Points Guide: A guide on finding and using your What.CD ID Number to get credit at the store.
• TWOS Music Contest: The store's first music contest. Submissions close on October 23rd, 2013.
• TWOS Gallery: An on-site gallery of store products both past and present which contains Donor Point values per product.
THE WHAT.CD ONLINE STORE (PRODUCTS):
• Bonespin Wallpaper Pack: Downloadable wallpaper pack which allows you to set your own price. Designed by P1um.
• Bonespin Sticker Pack: 3" x 3" circular vinyl stickers available in 5-packs or 10-packs. Designed by P1um.
• Death In Victory Shirt: Black AA shirt, tri-tone grey print. Designed by irredentia.
• Ishihara Citrus Shirt: Grey AA shirt, orange print. Designed by HalfInEarnest.
• Bug Report: Use this to create a new thread in the Bugs Forum.
• Staff PM: Use this if you have an outstanding question about a purchase or donation you've made that isn't answered elsewhere.
THE WHAT.CD MUSIC CONTEST:
We're about a month into the submission period, and we've already received a number of awesome entries in our first TWOS Music Contest! Whether you're a Vanity House member with releases featured on the site, someone who formerly participated in "The What CD" VH series, or are a musical artist who hasn't shown your work to the community yet, please consider participating. The cause (What.CD) is a good one!
There are about three weeks left in the submission period, so submit soon if you want to be considered. The submission period will end on October 23rd, 2013. Details on how to submit, the contest rules, and important legal information can be found in in the contest thread.